Tuesday 19 January 2010

Greig on Lewis on Prayer




I'm reading Pete Greig's God on Mute (see, I'm sticking to those on my list!) and it really is a great book. I'll be finished by the end of the week and post something on Pete's book then.

Today I came across a quote which Pete uses from CS Lewis, Screwtape is giving this advice to his nephew the junior demon:
Sooner or later [God] withdraws, if not in fact, at least from their conscious experience ... He leaves the [human] to stand up on its own legs - to carry out from the will alone duties which have lost all relish ... Our cause is never in more danger than when a human - no longer desiring but still intending to do [God's] will - looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. (God on Mute p. 234, CS Lewis The Screwtape Letters p. 47 in my copy)


I hope this helps someone today. God's absence is in experience, not in fact and when we stand, and continue to stand, when we obey in the apparent absence of God, hell trembles. Mustard seed faith expressed in faithful perseverance may be for many the victory we will see today.

No comments: