Friday 1 January 2010

A Comfortable Introvert

I've always liked Mike Bird's posts at Euangelion, and especially his recent one on personality types - read it hear.

I took the test which Mike recommended - find it also here.

I'm another INTJ, and I like how Mike describes us:

Basically, this means that I'm a cold hearted book worm with a super-sized intellect in lieu of a sense of empathy. So I don't really care how you feel, but I know when I'm supposed to pretend to care in order to help someone if they need it. I'm task orientated with a capital "T" and if I'm on a mission just show where to bury the bodies of the people who get in my way. I like people, they are very useful entities, they need to be looked after, but after a while I need to be away from them.

Of course you could read the more boring description of INTJ's here.

Mike's point is a really good one. There is a Christian culture of extrovertion which at times makes it really hard for us introverted types. Increasingly, I think all our cultural norms are more extrovert. But I don't think we need to be extrovert to be loved by Christ or useful in his service.

I'm comfortable with my introversion and look forward to enjoying many more years with a pile of books!!

No comments: