Wednesday 23 December 2009

10 of the best

A list before Christmas. These are my ten of the best from this year over various categories and in no particular order:

1. Best CD.


Fred Drummond recommended this disc to me and I bought it at Keswick in the summer, it really is great and very highly commended.





2. Best project.
I've really enjoyed getting involved in the biblefresh project with the EA and the Bible Society. This is a very exciting opportunity in 2011 to celebrate the bible in English and to engage others with the bible during that year. Check out the web site from Jan 2010 - http://www.biblefresh.com/





3. Most challenging book.

I've got three books on the list. The first one is Red Mood Rising by Pete Greig and Dave Roberts.

I want to learn to pray like this, I want to live in that place where pray is not something I do, but how I live.

This is not a book to read and put down, you really should read it and allow it to challenge your life.





4. Best gadget.
This is an old one. My 30gb ipod classic. I got it at Christmas 2006 and love it to bits. If only all gadgets were this useful.




5. Church law book.

There are not a lot of contenders in this category, but even if there were, my friend Marjory's book would still come out near the top.



An analysis of Church State relations which offers not only a new reading of the 1921 settlement, the role of the covenanters and the Confession of Faith in the Church State question. But best of all, the idea of diaconal sovereignty, a servent exercise of sovereignty which is not about rights, but service.



6. Wii game.
I tried for six months and both heirs, senior and junior, said together, that will be a rubbish game dad. When I bought Fifa 09 for myself I found I couldn't get near it for the two of them who decided it really was a great game. So it is, why would you want to up grade to Fifa 10? And for all you Rangers fans out there, it is worth it just to play Rangers and make Kris Boyd sprint for a whole game!!



7. Best song.

At Keswick we learned the song, 'By faith we see the hand of God'. I enjoy singing this song and rejoice in all that it affirms.







8. Best Greek Grammar book.
Again not a big category. But for all you Wenham students who want to take your Greek a bit further, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics by Daniel B Wallace is very highly recommended.




9. Best worship event.



In October, just a few days before senior heir needed his appendix removed, we went to the Worship Central tour event in Dunfermline. It was a great night and very challenging in the area of creativity and church life/ministry.










10. Best anniversary.
It was the St Ninians 125th, but the prize in this category has to go to John Calvin as we celebrated the 500th anniversary of his birth in July, with a cake and a book.




No comments: