Tuesday 1 June 2010

New Books on Reading List

Sorry I haven't been around the Corner recently, the General Assembly not only takes up time but takes time to recover from.

I missed my 20 posts a month target for May - well let's say it was an asperation, like 5-a-day on fruit and veg. So I'll try to keep up this month.

I've made some changes to my 2010 reading targets. I've removed the three volumes of essays that were on the list. Not that these have disappeared but being essay can be read at a different speed. I've added two books I bought at the Assembly from the Free Church Bookroom, for many years the best Christian bookshop in Scotland.

The first one is called 'Worshipping with the Church Father's' by Christopher A Hall, pub IVP 2009. I've been wanting to read some of Hall's work on the Church Father's for some time now and this looks like a very helpful volume.

The blurb promises a survey of the spiritual life of worship which will inform and challenge Christians in faithful living today. I hope the book lives up to the back cover - I'll let you know.


The second one is Tom Wright's 'Virtue Reborn'. Anything by Tom Wright, or NT Wright is worth reading. So far the only point of Tom Wright that I'm tempted to disagree with is his reading of 2 Cor 5, especially v. 21. Our present Christian living seems to fall either into licence or legalism. I'm hoping that Tom Wright will find a new way, or perhaps an old way, which is neither licence nor legalism. We need an authentic Christian living that displays the life of God in our communities today.


No comments: