Tuesday 8 June 2010

The God I Don't Believe In

God has become difficult. When someone says 'God' to me I no longer have any confidence I know what or who they mean.

All our Christian confessions are that there is only one God. But, that does not mean everything, or everyone which goes by the name, or title God/god, is this one God.

Rather than a long negative list of elements of false gods, let me say something positive.

The one God is the Father of Jesus. This is how the one God has chosen to make himself known. I don't think any human could work out who God is by themself. God is known because he reveals himself, not because we discover him.

There are many things I want to say about God and who he is, God is love, God is just, God is true and good and right. But I find I need to say this first, God is the Father of Jesus. Saying this connects God to our humanity in the humanity of the incarnate Jesus. It opens for me and all others a way of knowing this otherwise unknowable God.
Anyone or anything named 'god' which is not the Father of Jesus is not God and is not worthy to be worshipped, served, adored, loved, depended upon.

No comments: