Thursday 4 August 2011

Another word on the last word

This is my second post on Brian McLaren's book The Last Word and the Word After That - see earlier here.

I finished the book in June before going to Cambridge, but haven't had time to post further since then, until now!

I find the narrative style of this book and others in the New Kind of Christian Trilogy both engaging and frustrating. It is an easy to read kind of book, even if the characters are one dimensional serving clearly defined narrative roles. I continually want to say things like, 'Yes, I know some evangelicals have treated people badly, but we aren't all like this'. See McLaren presentation of Dan's treatment by the church leadership and Jess' experience at Campus fellowship in chapter 4. You can't dismiss evangelical Christianity by picking on its worst examples and tarring the whole with that brush!

I do like and appreciate McLaren's questions and challenges, see earlier post.

I really liked the exchange on pages 178-179
[Neil tells Dan] "Truth be told, these are the people I know with."
"'Know with'?" I [Dan] asked.
"Haven't you noticed how learning and knowing are ultimately communal experiences, social experiences?" he [Neil] asked in reply.

Yes, I give thanks to God for communities in which I have learned and in which I continue to learn.

A last word then. I'm not sure what this book actually concludes about hell. I think McLaren seems to suggests that whether you believe in hell or don't doesn't really matter so long as you don't make hell the main thing in your scheme of Christian doctrine. I suspect that if you began in a different place from this narrative, let's say a consideration of justice, you might end up with a different answer.
I'm hoping to read Rob Bell's book Love Wins sometime soon so no doubt will have further to post on this in future.

No comments: