Thursday 11 August 2011

Another book on prayer

I picked up this book at Keswick by Philip Jensen and Tony Payne Prayer and the Voice of God. Their earlier book Guidance and the Voice of God (or as I heard Jensen refer to it 'The Last Word on God's Guidance: Revised Edition') is an excellent book and well worth looking out for. I think I've loaned my copy to someone and it hasn't found it's way home yet!

This book on prayer is ok, I wouldn't commend it but wouldn't be worried if I saw someone reading it.

I haven't done the word count (I'm not that sad) but on reading the book the impression is that the word 'sin' appears almost as frequently as the word 'prayer'. I live daily with the reality of sin in my own life, I know that sin is a cause of prayerlessness, but the constant repitition of this theme is discouraging. If it had been mentioned clearly and powerfully once that would be more effective, in my opinion.

The highlights of the book are chapters 4 and 5.
Chapter 4 - Why we don't pray:
1) we have false views of God - he doesn't want to answer prayer;
2) there are things in our life we believe God can't do anything about;
3) we doubt God's goodness, generosity;
4) we don't beleive we are praying in the right way.
Chapter 5 - How to pray:
1) as dependent sons (those who inherit the Father's blessing);
2) by the Spirit;
3) through the Son;
4) to the Father;
5) with thanksgiving.

A few study or sermon series on prayer in there.

No comments: